In light of what’s happening in our world today, here is some information to help keep you and your loved ones healthy during this COVID-19 pandemic.
1. Take basic precautions that can decrease your risk of contraction with COVID-19 or any other virus:
- Wash your hands often, and effectively. Hand washing is the most important preventive measure, particularly before eating or touching your face. Wash hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your cough with your elbow or tissues. Then wash your hands.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from individuals who are sick.
- Use a humidifier at home. Viral particles travel a shorter distance in moist air compared to a dry environment.
- Nasal irrigation with a neti pot 1-2 x daily. Viruses can invade and multiply in the nasal passages for at least 1-2 days before you develop signs or symptoms. Nasal irrigation may wash away viral particles before they can take hold.
- Load up on food and spices with antiviral and immune supportive properties, including: raw garlic, oregano, ginger, kimchi, fermented foods, pomegranate seeds, berries, green tea, apple cider vinegar, and mushrooms.
- Stay well-hydrated with water, coconut water, herbal teas, and bone broth.
- Get fresh air and moderate exercise daily. Moderate exercise can boost the production of macrophages, an important component of white blood cells that assist in the breakdown of bacteria and viruses.
- Get adequate sleep. The amount of sleep we get is intimately connected to the strength of our immune system. Consider going to sleep earlier and strive for at least 8 hours of solid sleep per night.
3. Let acupuncture, herbs and supplements help increase your immunity:
- Acupuncture has been proven to increase immunity. Numerous research studies show that within 48 hours of receiving an acupuncture treatment, one will experience a rise in killer t-cells, lymphocytes, and macrophages (all which fight infection). Acupuncture also stimulates a rise in white blood cells and absolute neutrophil count (which increases immunity).
- Choose the right herbal medicine and supplements (that have clinical evidence) to increase immune function. Here are some key ones: vitamin D, buffered vitamin C, zinc chelate, Viracon immune defense, comprehensive mushroom immune support, and clinical strength probiotics 50-14. (All of these are available to purchase at East West Integrative Medicine).